Last week was scary. I went to Dallas on Tuesday night for meetings all day Weds and Thurs. I was nervous leaving them boys for the first time, but went anyways. Early Thursday morning at 2am Chad called my cell and woke me up to let me know he was taking Charlie to the ER with a 102.6 fever. I waited to hear what the doctors found before hopping the 6am flight out of Dallas (a day early) and meeting them at home. The ER took blood samples and x-rays but couldn't find anything. They sent Chad and Charlie home around 5am and told them to head to clinic later in the day for his normal team doctors to evaluate him. Nana was with Daniel at the house during this time. Charlie came home and vegged on the couch until around 9am his fever was 105 and we rushed him back to the hospital. They repeated the blood work and had a new round of xrays. This time they found pneumonia in his lungs directly behind his medi-port! They pumped him full of IV antibiotics and fluids and by 5pm Thursday he was a new kid, no fever, sleep deprived but feeling much, much better. Below is a picture of Charlie that morning in his stroller waiting for that critical xray.
Through everything Charlie remained polite and and happy as he could even thought I know he must have felt like a truck hit him. The nurses were so surprised that he wasnt more cranky or clingy. He is such a trooper! Thank goodness we caught this early before filling up too much of his lungs forcing him to be admitted to the hospital. I do not believe we will stay out of the hospital in the next 2.5 years, but now that this is under our belts we may be better prepped for the next time. 10 days on antibiotics and the pneumonia is gone.

No comments:
Post a Comment