Saturday, August 18, 2012
Charlie's first NFL game
A few weeks ago, Angela and I attended a dinner put on by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society that was served as the official kickoff for the Light the Night Walk that we will be doing with Charlie in late September. It was an inspiring event which contained a lot of information about the great and innovative things LLS is doing for families like us and individuals like Charlie. I hope to be able to pass along some of the information they presented to those of you who keep tabs on Charlie’s journey. I just have to find the time . . .
As we sat down to eat, we were approached by a member of the Patient Services department of LLS. She had a pair of Broncos Pre-season tickets that were donated to LLS and she wanted Charlie to go to the game. So on Aug. 18th, Charlie and I left the babies with Mom and Nana and prepared ourselves for a Night of Manliness. Actually, I was prepared to be heading home by half-time and not just because that’s when the starter would not be playing any more. Usually Charlie asks to go to bed by about 8:30.
Due to a forewarning on the lack of parking spaces available, we had to park a considerable distance away from Mile High. As we started our long walk, Charlie spotted some enterprising young fellows driving bike-cabs back and forth for a small fee. After we watched some poor dude load up two adults and three kids into his cab, Charlie and I piled into the next available ride. I think this was Charlie’s second favorite part of the evening.
Inside the stadium we sat through all the pregame ceremonies. Charlie got a lesson in standing quiet through the National Anthem. Some other highlights included the fireworks and pyrotechnics that preceded the team’s entry to the field and the skydive team that dropped in right over our heads (I have a video of that I can post to our Youtube Channel, very cool). Once the game started, that was pretty much the end of Charlie’s interest. During the kickoff, Charlie had to go to the bathroom and two plays after we got back to our seats, he asked to go home. It was a little sooner than I expected, but we managed to make it through the first quarter with the help of Charlie’s favorite part of the evening. That was watching the “slightly” inebriated lady sitting two rows in front of us “shake her booty” (as Charlie says) every time the Broncos made a good play. We picked up a six dollar bag of M&Ms for the ride home on our way out of the stadium and caught the next bike cabbie back to our car. Charlie had a great time and he even made it to bed around 8:30.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment