Thursday, May 23, 2013

Portastrophe

So, I am sure some of you out there are wondering how Charlie's port removal went this morning.  The answer is that I am sure his port removal would have gone fantastically . . . had it actually happened.

The day began with Daniel and Charlie heading downstairs around 5:30 am, as they sometimes do.  Yes, I said 5-freakin'-30.  If one of them wakes up, both of them wake up and they head downstairs and watch cartoons.  I got up shortly after to make a cup of coffee and so begins that routine we conduct 250+ days a year.  Well Charlie and Daniel ask for breakfast and I absent-mindedly hand them a squeezy yogurt and breakfast bar, respectively, thinking nothing of it.  Shortly afterward, Angela comes down with Ana dressed and ready for school.

"Charlie, you didn't have breakfast did you?" asks Mom

"Yes" answers Charlie

"Oh, $#!+!!!!!" thinks Dad

Since Charlie has to go under general anesthetic for his procedure, he can't have food 8 hours in advance.  Mom quickly confirmed that there was no point in heading to the hospital and Dad proceeded to take the kids school.  Charlie was severely disappointed, not because he really wanted to undergo surgery, but I think he was really looking forward to spending the rest of the day at home with Mom.

The truth is that the night before I had actually thought about the fact that Charlie couldn't have breakfast in the morning, but I just wasn't thinking on all cylinders that early in the morning.  And I have to give credit to Angela, she didn't remind when I got out of bed because she thought it would be "nagging".  I just didn't follow through . . .

Charlie's port removal has been postponed to next Wednesday, which in hind sight may not be all that bad.  Charlie numbers were pretty bad from Tuesday's clinic visit and while they didn't see a problem with carrying on with his surgery, it can't hurt to have him rebound a little before going back in.  At least, that is what I will keep telling myself.

No comments: