Every young couple should have exciting plans on Saturday nights right? Well Chad, Charlie and I spent a few hours Saturday night in the Children's hospital ER. Most of the week Charlie was throwing up the majority of the snacks and food he took it. I had contacted the on call docs over the weekend and the third time I called with concerns of dehydration and the fact he wasn't getting better, the doc asked us to grab our over night bag and head to the ER for an abdominal exam and x-ray.
The oncology patients get special treatment in the ER. We walked in, the on call doc had called ahead and registered us, and 4 mins later we were escorted to a private, isolation type room. We had two nurses and two doctors go over him. My favorite part was when the German doctor wearing a face mask asked my sleepy three year old to tell her exactly where his tummy hurt through a VERY thick accent. I could hardly understand, I'm sure Charlie was clueless. After the X-ray the main doctor came in and told us that Charlie was VERY constipated and that can result in throwing up. Basically his little body was refusing any other solid food because he was so backed up. The doc had us up the laxatives and gave us a script for Zofran to combat the nausea.
We were glad that our first cancer related trip to the ER was for something relatively mild and not a life threatening infection. Hopefully Charlie can pass what he needs to and get back to feeling semi-normal. This will save Mommy cleaning up vomit and save Daddy from unwanted bath times. Did I mention the Zofran cost $141.00 after insurance. Liquid gold if it stops the puking :)
No comments:
Post a Comment